Thursday 4 September 2014

Thursday, September 4, 2014 - Easterly at Stevenson

2014-09-04

Temira's forecast wasn't stellar.. light east wind at Stevenson between 11:30 and 3:00.    Ross and I spent the first part of the morning on our laptops catching up at work.  Then Mike started to Text....
  •  He was at Marryhill and heading to Stevenson.  
  • Is anything happening in Hood River?
  • Are we going to meet him there?
  • etc etc etc.....
At around 10:00 I decided to head out and meet Mike.  It was a good thing I did.  The wind was light, but very sailable.  We first looked at Bob's Beach, but the launch was almost totally blocked by a huge paddle wheeler, so we headed to the Boat Launch.

Paddle Wheeler blocking the beach!
Mike - Anxious to get in the water - rigging his 5.6
I rigged my 6.6 and used my Fanatic board.  Mike was on his 5.6.  We both had a great sail for almost two hours before the wind started to die.    I went way up-river and then came back in a single screaming reach - then attempted a jibe in almost no wind and fell in for the first time of the day - right in front of everyone.   Oh well.  It was more like lake sailing than Gorge sailing, but still a lot of fun, comfortable sailing!

When I got back to the beach, Ross and Karen had joined us.  Ross headed out kiting (on Karen's 7m kite again), while Karen headed to Portland to pick up a friend.   
The Crossing 
I went to "The Crossing" for an excellent lunch, then stopped at Bob's Beach before I left - where I ran into Al who had just driven down from Osoyoos.  He looked at the water, but it was pretty light, so decided not to sail. 
Mike - enjoying the scenery at the Kite Launch!
Al - just in from Osoyoos!
The big van showed up late in the day with Blaine, Brad and Big Air Jim.  They arrived just in time to get in nine holes of golf with Mke and Al at the Hood River Golf Course.   I joined them after their game for a beer and dinner on the Club House Deck.
Brad and Al

Big Air Jim and Blaine - happy to be here...

Hood River Golf Course
Kent and Rene showed up late.  We are waiting for Gerry and Eddy who are driving down tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment