Thursday 4 September 2014

Wednesday, Sept 3, 3014 - Doug's Beach


2014-09-03

We had a bit of a lazy start to the day.  Ross cooked a wonderful breakfast with fresh fruit and something that resembled an omelette, but that was cooked under a broiler and was served like pizza.  Delicious!

Ross and Karen - inflating Karen's 7m Kite.
The call was Doug's Beach Park, but the wind was a little lighter today.  We arrived at around 1:00pm.  Ross decided to kite on his (Karen's)7.0.   I took out my 5.6m Hucker and Nash Board.  I had a great sail for a few hours - very controlled and almost relaxing.  The only problem was that the water was so shallow that I kept miss-judging the far side, and dragged my fin. I had to jump off a few times during my Jibes.

One of the things I have noticed about getting older is how easy it is to do dumb things.  My car key is usually around my neck.  Before sailing, I carefully disconnected it, put it in my van - and locked the door.  I don't have any recollection - but that is what I must have done.

I noticed it just before I headed out sailing when I tucked my key laniard into my wetsuit and checked that the electronic part of the key was not attached......  nothing was attached.  Darn....  What to do?  Well I am an AMA member, but Ross was out Kiting and Karen had gone shopping so no phone.  The obvious thing to do was to go sailing.

Will - coming to the rescue!

When Karen got back she let me borrow her phone/  AMA did have a record of my membership..  (My card and member number were in the van).  A nice fellow named Will showed up an hour later and opened my van for me.....  He asked me how I was doing - I said I was feeling a little stupid.....Nice fellow - obviously enjoys his work and enjoys helping people.

The wind dropped off somewhat later in the day, so Ross took Karen kiting at Lyle sand bar.  With the low water in the river, the sand bar is huge.  

Lyle Sandbar - looking back at the highway..

Karen - Kitesurfing!
Karen
After kiting and sailing, we had supper in White Salmon at "Everyone's Brewing".  All the food (and beer) was excellent - especially the desert!

Ross and Karen enjoying a Brownie and Ice Cream
Ross and Karen
Karen
Comment on Kiters....
Kites like Ross and Karen are a rebellious group!  No respect for the law!  To get to their favorite Kiting spot, they need to Trespass, Brake the Law, Risk Death and possibly be subject to heavy fines.  See the signs below.    Just saying.....





No comments:

Post a Comment